Thursday, November 8, 2018

Hotel savings from Google One

TL;DR: Google One offers a meaningful hotel discount (21% from my 1 example) but is very limited in the number of hotels offering the discount, not a reason to get Google One but a nice to have.

-----------------------

Google One is a paid service from Google that gets you more storage for your Google life (Gmail, Google Photos, Google Drive etc.) plus "other benefits."

https://one.google.com/

The benefits are:
  • You can talk to or chat with someone from support.
  • You can share the storage with 5 people
  • "Up to 40% off select hotels"
So I tested out the last benefit, the way you do it is after you sign up for Google One, you start at Google search (I tried it in my laptop browser) and search for "hotels in xxx" and while you scroll through the results, you'll see special savings for Google One members.

However, as you might expect, the list of hotels offering these discounts seem very limited.

I was able to find a hotel near JFK that does offer this discount, it looks like this:


You see the Radisson Hotel JFK Airport for $150 on Nov 10 - Nov 11, 2018.  As a comparison, I found a rate of $191 for the same night on Kayak.



I believe these are pre-tax/fees, but I was pleasantly surprised to see a meaningful discount (21%) with Google One.  Now I think the issue is finding hotels that actually have this discount.  I'm sure Google will try to add more hotels but for now, I don't think the hotel discount should be counted on as a reason to sign up for Google One.  It's definitely a nice to have but then you have to remember to compare prices vs Google when you look for hotels.

No comments:

Post a Comment