Monday, October 5, 2020

My experience with cell phone protection claim with Citi Premier Card - denied

 There is some conflicting information (mainly from the credit card pushers/blogs) that all Mastercard Elite cards have cell phone protection but some of the commenters usually say there are reports that this card is not included.

Well to cut a long story short, I can confirm the Citi Premier Card despite it being a World Elite Mastercard, it does not have cell phone protection.

The website to make a claim is on phonebenefit.com.  They require a copy of the cell phone bill showing which card was used, the receipt for the phone itself AND a repair estimate from a store.  I had to go to a store to get a repair estimate for my Pixel 3XL.  I went to a UbreakIfix location and when I called, the guy asked if it's for a credit card insurance and I said yes and they gave me an estimate for the worst case scenario, which in my case turned out to be $450 or so. So wasted effort but hopefully it's useful information for others.

Here's where it says World Elite Mastercards have this benefit.

https://www.mastercard.us/content/mccom/en-us/consumers/find-card-products/credit-cards/world-elite.html/

Also, my Pixel 3 XL is only about 21 months old and it failed suddenly and won't turn on at all.  Google hardware sucks.

Also, in case anyone is curious, the card I used to buy the phone is already cancelled so I don't have any extended warranty.

Also, in case anyone is curious, I'm very gentle on my phones, all of my past phones have never failed.

No comments:

Post a Comment